Saturday, May 15, 2010

So I keep hearing about how Emma Holly is this great writer, and I get one of her books. It's about a vampire from space, who lives in historical times, marrying a total doofus head. And I'm like, eh, it's okay. Until the sex scene. I don't know, maybe outer space vamps remind me too much of sci fi, where I have certain expectations that aren't met in a history type book. But, then, vampire love bites. Not bites as in this bites, but bites as in,
Fang me baby.
Suddenly, the book is a whole lot more interesting. now I want to be bitten by a vampire.
Why?
Because I have a neck fetish a sudden?
Er, no.
Because all women, (well almost all women, off the top of my head I can't think of any who would say no) most women want that passion, love, o face galore.
It's amazing how hot and lustful these wenches are, coming from a century that didn’t even have the internet to teach them how to behave during sex, or what a golden shower is, but no, these innocent, blushing dip heads are just burning hot mamas, simply get one half undressed and the country side is a burning with love.
Amazing. Really.
Do I run out and write my own vampire novel? No, I recognize that urge now, the that was a good book I can't wait to write one just like it, even though I won't because I'll read another I like just as well and head off on that.
Do I run out and find someone with teeth for a little nipping here and there?
Okay, I wish. But no, no vampire fantasies for me, thanks. Because I realize that the book is about the passion women want, not the fanged alien posing as the perfect male ever. Seriously. He has almost no sweat, no foul odors, ( clearly not human right there. Not even one fart. True alien.) and glows golden and reads her mind for the best sex ever.
Just a little too good to choke down.
But, a good lesson. Write what women want, what they want to experience, that is romance, even if it involves werewolf flying ninjas, or alien brain sucking candy spouting love machines. I don't want a half dead vampire hanging over me, I want to feel what she does, who doesn't? it's why the books sell. Ah ha.
Write the passion deep and hard, the lust high, and maybe the book will sell.

No comments: