Friday, June 25, 2010

Wow, I can not believe how long it has been since I blogged. And I haven't been that busy, which would be a good excuse. No, I just don't feel like talking to people. Probably not a good thing for a writer to say, but there you go.
I just read the dead of midnight, by Catherine hunter. Great book, a mystery, which I normally don't read.
There is definitely a difference in the genres. Romance has long descriptions of passion, mystery long batches of dialogue.
Couldn't say for sure what I liked about dead of midnight. The dialogue is pretty good, moving along for a mystery. Plenty of suspects, motives, etc. great pacing. I don’t know, I just really liked it. Maybe because the tension was so close to a good horror novel.
And of course, every time I read a book I like, I think why can't I write that?
Hah.
Maybe in a thousand years of practice.
Or maybe not so lone.
My editor seems to really like the third book, thief of heart, which will be out soon. I don't know how soon, editing seems to be taking a longtime, yet the changes are small. Still, I have to say I have learned so much working with whispers. I feel like maybe if a miracle happens, luck is on my side, the stars line up in a trillion to one chance-I might sell a printed book. And gasp, make five thou. Last I heard, it's the going rate for a first time romance writer. But hey, five thou is about half what I make in a year (work sucks) so two books a year would be good. I could live maybe on that.

No comments: